Sunday, August 4, 2013

austin, tx - home sweeeeet home

Hey everyone,
I hope you are all well!  I have been on "stay-cation" this week and I spent my time off getting my new apartment allllll put together :)  This week was also my 32nd birthday!  Normally, I spend my birthday week engaging in a lot of fanfare and bar-hopping.  This year was a lot more quiet and subdued...and I liked it ;)

Please come on in and take a little tour of what makes this apartment "home" to me!


When you first walk in you have the option of going to the dining/kitchen area on the right or the living area on the left.  This space pictured above is supposed to be the dining room but I've turned it into my study/sewing/hoop making/reading/record player area.




I hoard two things - books and clothes.  I loveeeee my bookshelf.  It's full of books I've collected from elementary school until now.

I learned a phrase the other day, "vade mecum."  It refers to a favorite book carried everywhere and it literally means "go with me."  My vade mecum is a collection of essays by Ralph Waldo Emerson.  I do NOT board airplanes without this thing in my bag!

vade mecum

Map Wall
I love my map wall :)  It's a work in progress but I really like it.

Love my Austin Field Guide and I can't wait to get sewing again :)
Connected to the above area is the kitchen.  The kitchen in this apartment is reallllly small but so far it's working out well enough.


That cross is from Cloudcroft, NM.  I got it on a trip with my great Aunt Jane and Uncle Tom :)  One thing one notices about my style in my home is that I am sentimental.  If I attach some meaning to an object - it's on display!  Speaking of display...


For some reason this shelf is called the "cowboy shelf" in our family.  I have it filled with random things I don't want to put away but I have no real place for.  It includes:

  • photographs of me and katie, my great grandma and my uncle bobby, and a picture of my mom in middle school
  • mugs my old roommate picked up for me on his trips to Germany
  • a motorcycle shaped bottle of men's aftershave from the 60s (found this in my parents' basement)
  • a little black cat figurine (for Indy) and a pink unicorn from my TGC days (for me)
  • honey jar from my sister
  • tin heart and arrow shaped measuring cups my mom found at good will
  • a couple little books
  • day of the dead tiles

On your way out of the kitchen you can see the "Studs & Spurs" calendar and my small plate collection.  


Annnnd that's what I eat these days.  Almost all natural ;)

My living room area is a work in progress...I am open to any ideas y'all have about what to do with it.


That wall is a collage of all the extra pictures I had in my house.  The turkey painting and the photo of red berries came from my great-granddad.  The painting in the center was bought for me in Brunswick by my mom.  The first practice efforts I made at sewing, a photo I developed myself in my high school photography class, and some framed Audubon drawings are up there too.  Buttt my favorite thing up there is this:


My mom made that for me one Christmas.  It's a hand sewed copy of a print my Mamaw Wilson made.  It's in Mamaw's handwriting and I really love it :)  It makes this place really feel like home.

Do we like that photo wall?  I am not 100% sold on it yet.


To the right of the photo wall is my balcony.  It is still a major work in progress but I've got big ideas :)


These items are also in the living area :)


My hutch and table and chairs are also over here.  I need to paint these items but I can't decide what to paint them.  My instinct for the table and chairs is black.  And I want to paint the hutch a sea green...but I'm not sure.  Help!

Onto the bedroom...

Ok first off - I have a huge round mirror that is going to be amazing in a real house one day.  For now...I have no where to put it!  So I've made a headboard out of it.  I know that seems scandalous so it might change.  

Yep - bird print blanket and bird prints on the wall.  I'm a bird lover :)  My earliest memories are of watching the birds at my great grandma's house.


And there I am :)  Hi!  The mirror and dresser in this picture desperately need painted.  I am thinking white or a really light cream.  

So that's it so far!  The apartment has a really big closet and, yes, a bathroom as well but I still have work to do on those.  This home has been a real blessing in my life.  It's a refuge when I need a refuge and a space to entertain when I want to do that :)  

The best part is - it's in AUSTIN!  I love this town.  I don't think I've been this happy in a long time :)

Love y'all,
B


2 comments:

  1. I love your apartment and what you have done with the space. My recommendation on the furniture, all of it, is to paint it in a good black paint and then paint the details in different colors for the different areas they are in. Maybe sea green/aqua for the bedroom and orange/gold in the library and coral in the dining room. I know of a great black paint that includes the primer.

    ReplyDelete