Monday, May 27, 2013

Click Click BOOM

"Ugh!"

That was me about a month ago, rejoining the online dating universe in an attempt to "meet new friends."  Otherwise known as, "I really just don't want to die a hopeless spinster!"

But I did it anyway.  It has not been terrible...I've encountered some really nice people via the system.  I've even met one in person.  But that's just it.  It's a system.  And it turns me off.  :(



And now it's about time to meet someone for the second time and I don't even feel like I can muster up the energy :/  What is that about?  Is it because I'm doing so much work up front and things just don't come about organically online?

Tonight I watched my very first episode of The Bachelorette and all I could feel was anxiety for this poor woman having to figure out which of these guys were worth getting to know and which were just disingenuous.  Side note:  many of these proposed bachelors could use a good bible study.  ;)

That's right!

I think that for women, when you first join a dating website you feel a lot like you're that lone bachelorette walking into a room full of potential suitors.  You know some are going to be creepy, some are going to be awesome, and MAYBE one of those guys is the ONE (but that's not likely seeing as this is television...is the internet).  So why do we even do it?

Who is the kind of person who signs on to be a contestant on a dating tv show?  They're probably fame hungry and definitely camera friendly.  Who is the kind of person who signs on to online dating?  Harder to say - considering I'm one of those people...but so far I feel like I'm just meeting people who are massaging their egos and really aren't all that interested in getting to know new people.

You may be thinking, "Remember, you get into it what you put out!"  Betch, plz.  I do feel like many of the women I know who are putting themselves out there online are doing so genuinely.  But I feel like a lot of the guys on there are just laying lines in a crowded pond full of trout.  Or maybe those are the only guys this site thinks I'm compatible with!  UGH!  I'm not a trout!

Ugh, indeed.  Maybe I need to give it more time.  It is  a good tool for meeting people...but so is real life!  I think I will keep the online thing going for a little while just because it's "fun," but I'm going to make it a goal to be more outgoing in my offline life too.

Honestly, I'm sticking to it because I know I've got it in me to be brave through this process.  And besides you never know!  Maybe one of these weirdos has a tall, cute, lumberjack-esque, christian, brother who feels the exact same way as I do about internet dating ;P  Can't wait to have a beer with that guy :)


No comments:

Post a Comment