Saturday, June 1, 2013

Go-go Juice

Hey friends,
How's it going? I finished my first week of work yesterday! This new job is very challenging and I have so much to learn - but by the grace of God I'm figuring it out :) I just want to restate how blessed I feel to have such great friends here in Austin helping me figure out these first few months :)

So! I am blogging to you today from Fair Bean Coffee on 1st street. Katie, Mom, and Dad will be arriving to the area soon so we can move Katie into her new Austin apartment :)

My dear friend Jeremiah is right by my side working on his blog today too - feel free to check it out! He is such a funny, talented, and thoughtful writer. His stuff cracks me up :)  I think he posted today about our friendship so if you want to get a glimpse of the Becky of years gone by...feel free to read ;)

Hi from Jeremiah and Becky!
Jeremiah has been sitting here listening to me go on and on and on about my new endeavor - JUICING! So, I've decided to shut up and throw all of my thoughts into blog form :)


First off, Katie and I watched the documentary Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead  the other week and it was very eye opening!  Our childhood friend Tyler had been posting online about his own juicing journey and we were definitely intrigued.  THEN, Tyler posted a 5 week status update.  He was down 30 lbs and lost 4 inches off his waist from juicing.  In FIVE WEEKS!!!

Tyler on the left - before juicing and then 5 weeks later!
Our jaws hit the floor! Tyler looked not only thinner - but glow-ier and more awake than ever before! That did it for me. I was hopping on the juicing bandwagon.  

I'm only a few days in and so I'm starting off slowly. This means I'm juicing for breakfast and lunch, and supplementing if necessary (i.e. if I feel hungry) with bananas, apples, and green tea. I'm eating a normal - albeit - healthier dinner.

Let me show you a little of what I'm doing.

breakfast before
That's my breakfast. It consists of:
  • one grapefruit
  • 2 apples (cored)
  • a handful of grapes
  • a pinch of parsley
  • a little honey (this is my addition because I'm a beginner!)
Because I'm using a blender I add a little water to it too.  

This is what lunch looks like:

onto the green stuff!
It's a simple recipe that includes:
  • A big handful of baby spinach
  • Two oranges
Going for the green stuff has been difficult, but I find that recipes that mix a little fruit with the green work best for beginners like me :)

Here's breakfast all blended up:

yum!
Because I am using a blender I have to take the extra step of straining the pulp.  

Nothing fancy here :)
Once everything is strained, I'm ready to bottle it up! Now, y'all know me, and you know I like to give my "art" (be it a hula hoop, baby blanket, or juice) a special twist. My special twist for juicing are cute blue tinted mason jars :) They clean easier than plastic containers and they look adorable. Win!

Breakfast for me and my coworker
Lunch ready to go!
Okay so let me give you the low down on how I'm feeling physically.  Granted, I am only 3 days into this journey but I am already feeling the effects. 

On Day 1, I did a green juice for lunch only (normal breakfast, normal dinner). It was a much more full vegetable juice than the spinach and orange, and it took me a long time to get it down. But, I felt full the entire afternoon and my energy levels were consistently high. I normally start feeling tired around 3 pm on a workday.

I went to bed that night and fell asleep very quickly - normally I toss and turn for at least an hour.  The next morning I bounced out of bed at 6:20 am.  I was ready to roll!  This was the best benefit of juicing so far because I am normally realllllllllly tough to wake up in the morning.

The next day I did the fruit breakfast juice and it was so delicious! It went down easy, kept my energy high all morning, but I did feel the need to supplement with a banana. By the time lunch rolled around I was ready to drink my spinach and oranges. The spinach and oranges juice was the big difference maker. I drank it easily, and wasn't just full all afternoon - I was STUFFED. I had some green tea to calm down a slight detox headache I was experiencing, but that was it. By the time dinner rolled around I still wasn't hungry! But my friends and I wanted to get out on the town and we did eat some mexican food (my weakness) anyway. 

The other amazing part about the spinach and orange juice was how awake it made me feel. My workday consisted of viewing training videos and my mind was SO alert. And, it sounds weird, but I could feel my blood circulating through my body in a way I've never felt before. I felt so fresh, alive, and energetic. My mental state was clearer than normal. 

So there you have it.  Juicing is officially a part of my life.  I recommend to those reading that you at least give it a try for breakfast.  My big dieting issue in life is that diets often feel like punishment to me. With juicing, I feel like I am drinking a magic elixir that is giving me an edge over my circumstances :) I can honestly say I am enjoying the process!

I'll post an update in a month or so about pounds or inches lost.  My coworkers and I are doing Monday weigh in's starting next week so I will be able to track what's going on.  In true Rebecca fashion, my whole office is now juicing for at least one meal and there is talk from some of trying it for lunch too :)  I can't help it - I have an evangelistic nature :)

That's it for now.  I'll leave you with a shot of my new morning "coffee" mug.  


Much love,
Becky
PS:  Here's an update on the online dating thing -
Can't wait to tell our children how we met one day.
????????????????

No comments:

Post a Comment